Cages and hutches are the main initial expense when you’re looking to own a guinea pig.
As guinea pig habitats can be expensive, you obviously want to purchase one that is going to last you and your pet a long time!
There are a lot of cages and hutches out there that are not suitable for guinea pigs despite being targeted for them.
When buying a guinea pig cage, you need to make sure it is large, safe, and doesn’t use wire or mesh flooring!
For one or two guinea pigs, a cage should contain a minimum of 7.5 square feet of living space. For three guinea pigs, a cage should contain at least 10.5 square feet. Four guinea pigs will require a minimum of 13.5 square feet.
Here we’ll be reviewing 8 of the best guinea pig cages and hutches, as well as their key features!
Guinea Pig Cage And Accessories By MidWest
- Provides 8 square feet of living area for guinea pigs as recommended by veterinarians...
- Fully removable wire mesh top to protect your guinea pig from predators; The multi...
- Durable, leak proof, washable and easily removable PVC lined canvas bottom allows for...
This guinea pig cage by MidWest measures 47 x 24 x 14 inches and provides your pet with 8 square feet of living space, which is just over the minimum cage size for one to two guinea pigs.
It features a removable wire mesh cover so you can have easy access to your guinea pig. It also makes cleaning the cage a breeze!
The cage also includes divider panels which you can lock into place. This means you can separate sections of the cage to be used for play or care.
Ramps are also included to ensure your guinea pig has no trouble moving from one section of the cage to another.
If your guinea pig is a bit on the timid side, these dividers would work well, as you can keep your guinea pig inside certain areas of the cage during maintenance.
It also means you can have a smaller area to tame or interact with your guinea pig without the worry of them bolting around all areas of the cage.
The base of the cage is made out of PVC lined canvas that can be removed. This is leak-proof and washable, so you don’t need to be concerned about your guinea pig making a mess on it.
This canvas material is also comfortable for your guinea pig’s feet.
The sides of the cage measure 14 inches, which is high enough to stop your guinea pig escaping without the cover.
You can also use this cage as a run or playpen outside as the canvas bottom can be taken off to allow your guinea pigs access to grass.
If you own multiple guinea pigs, then this cage can be attached to other ones (of the same make) to provide your pets with even more living space.
This cage by MidWest is a great starter cage and ideal if you own a single guinea pig or a pair!
- Provides 8 square feet of living space (above the minimum!)
- Removable base and cover
- Base is made out of washable and leak-proof fabric
- Can be used as a run or playpen
- Can be attached to multiple cages
Living World Deluxe Habitat (X-Large)
- Habitat that provides everything you need for safely housing a small animal such...
- Small animal cage is designed with an upper wire frame and a plastic bottom base,...
- Includes a balcony with access ramp and small animal hideout, tip proof small...
The X-large variety of this Living World cage measures 46.9 x 22.8 x 24 inches, which makes it suitable to house one or two guinea pigs.
This cage uses a plastic base to make cleaning easy, as well as wire sides and a wire top. This provides your guinea pig with enough ventilation.
There is also an additional platform with a ramp that can be removed if you want more space for toys.
The top of the cage is divided into two sections, which means you can open them separately or at the same time to give you easy access to your guinea pig.
The base of the cage can be separated from the top half to make it easier to clean.
The cage also comes with a water bottle, food dish, and a hay tray that is attached to the outside of the cage so it cannot be knocked over. The food dish can also be locked into place on the platform so your guinea pig can’t topple it over.
- Measures 46.9 x 22.8 x 24 inches – ideal for one or two guinea pigs!
- Plastic base and wire sides for ample ventilation
- Top of the cage can be opened into two sections
- Comes with a water bottle, food dish, and hay tray
Good Life Two Floors Wooden Waterproof Hutch For Small Animals
- Upgraded to plastic tray. This rabbit cage suitable for 2-3 rabbits or 3-4 Guinea pig...
- Overall Size: Exterior :62"(L) x 21.0"(W) x 37.0"(H) / Upper House size:...
- Sturdy Construction & Weatherproof: Constructed by premium natural fir wood and...
The overall dimensions of this hutch by Good Life is 62 x 21 x 37 inches, which makes it suitable for two guinea pigs. It can also be used for other animals, such as rabbits and chickens.
This hutch can be used outside as it is sturdy and weatherproof. The wood is made from natural fir, which has been treated with a waterproof and non-toxic varnish.
There are two floors in this hutch that are separated by a ramp. The top floor is enclosed with a mesh door for easy access. This area would work great as a nesting area for your guinea pigs as it will be plenty warm.
The bottom floor of the hutch has two doors and is entirely meshed, which provides your guinea pigs with enough ventilation.
Removable trays are used as the bases for each floor of the hutch. This makes cleaning much easier as you can simply slide the tray out to remove dirty bedding.
- Measures 62 x 21 x 37 – suitable for up to two guinea pigs!
- Can be used both inside and outside
- Has two floors
- Removable sliding trays for easy cleaning
- Suitable for other animals
Confidence 62 Inch Hutch For Small Animals
This hutch by Confidence measures 62 x 24 x 29 inches, which makes it a good cage for two guinea pigs, possibly three. It can also be used for rabbits and ferrets.
This hutch is crafted with furniture-grade wood that is waterproof and has been painted with an antifungal finish. All edges of the wood have been sanded down to ensure your guinea pigs don’t injure themselves.
The asphalt roof of the hutch is also waterproof, so you don’t need to worry about rainy weather if your use this hutch outside.
There are two levels to this hutch that are separated by a ridged ramp. The first floor has two lockable doors, with one of the doors being made out of mesh for good ventilation.
The top floor has a pull-out tray on the base to make cleaning easy.
The bottom floor of the hutch is a large run area. This is useful as your guinea pigs can retreat back to the top floor when they have had enough of eating grass.
However, it’s important to note that there is no way to block off the lower area of the hutch to prevent your guinea pigs from going outside in bad weather.
It might be a good idea to attach a hinged door to the opening of the run for outside use.
- Measures 64 x 24 x 29 inches – suitable for two or three guinea pigs!
- Made from waterproof materials
- Includes a large run area
- Top floor has a pull-out tray for easy cleaning
- Suitable for other animals, such as rabbits
AmazonBasics Pet Habitat (Jumbo)
- Jumbo small-animal habitat for pet rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets, or chinchillas
- Iron wire upper frame and PP plastic base; large top and front openings for easy...
- Includes non-drip water bottle, hay guard, and balcony with access ramp and tip-proof...
The jumbo size of this AmazonBasics cage measures 48.6 x 26.6 x 20.6 inches, making it suitable for one or two guinea pigs.
The upper section of the cage is made out of iron wire, while the base is plastic. This allows for good ventilation and easy cleaning.
Both the top and front of the cage can be opened so you can access your guinea pig easily. The base of the cage can be separated from the top half.
The cage includes a platform with a ramp which can be removed. This platform also works as a shelter as your guinea pig can hide underneath it.
A hay guard, water bottle, and tip-proof food dish are also included with this cage, making it the perfect starter home for your guinea pig.
The cage is easy to put together and requires no tools to assemble.
- Measures 48.6 x 26.6 x 20.6 inches – suitable for one or two guinea pigs!
- Removable platform
- Large front and top doors
- Comes with hay guard, food dish, and water bottle
Trixie Rabbit Hutch With Outdoor Run (Extra Small)
- 2 story hutch with upper retreat area divided by sliding door
- Attached run opens from above for easy access
- Hinged roof with locking arm opens on one side
The Trixie Rabbit Hutch measures 30 x 21 x 28 inches for the top section and 31 x 21 x 23 inches for the bottom section. With both areas, this hutch would be suitable for one or two guinea pigs.
The top level of the hutch features two doors with metal slide latches to make it easily accessible for cleaning. These metal latches also add extra security to the doors.
There is a sliding metal tray on the top level to make is simple to clean. The hutch is entirely waterproof, so it can be used outside.
The bottom level of the hutch is a large run area that is connected to the top floor with a ramp. The run is crafted with wire mesh.
The top of the run can be opened to give you easier access to your guinea pig.
The run is completely detachable and there is a lockable door connecting the run to the top level of the hutch. This means you can block off the run so your guinea pigs cannot use it during bad weather.
- Measures 61 x 20.8 x 27.5 inches overall – suitable for one or two guinea pigs!
- Two levels
- Top floor has a sliding metal tray for easy cleaning
- The run can be blocked off via a lockable door
Ferplast Krolik 140 Plus Rabbit Cage
- Perfect Rabbit Cage Starter Kit w/ Wood Hutch Extension | Rabbit cage includes large...
- Extra-Extra-Large Living Space | Rabbit cage measures 55.9L x 23.62W x 19.7H inches &...
- Easy Maintenance Rabbit Cage | Krolik features a 5.5" deep base to contain litter &...
The Ferplast Krolik 140 Plus measures 55.91 x 23.62 x 19.62 x 19.68 inches, which makes it a good-sized cage for up to two guinea pigs.
The upper half of the cage is made from sturdy wire, whilst the lower section is plastic. The base can be separated from the top section to allow for cleaning.
The front of the cage has a large door so you can easily access your guinea pigs. There is also a good-sized wooden nesting box included with this cage.
This nesting box has an openable roof to make cleaning the inside quick and easy. The roof can also be closed with a metal hook for added security.
The interior of cage includes a small platform, ramp, food dish, hay feeder, and water bottle. This cage is easy to put together too!
- Measures 55.91 x 23.62 x 19.62 x 19.68 inches – suitable for one or two guinea pigs!
- Large front door for easy access
- Includes a big nesting box, water bottle, platform, hay feeder, and food bowl
- Base can be separated from wire section for easy cleaning
Lazy Buddy Hutch With Waterproof Roof For Small Animals
- 【Specialized and Luxurious House】Your bunny or rabbit need a sturdy house for his...
- 【Sturdy and Safety Are Always the Priority】Constructed by premium natural fir...
- 【Large Activity Space with Multi-door Design】Large activity space with three...
This hutch by Lazy Buddy measures 35.49 x 17.55 x 31.59 inches overall, making it suitable for one or two guinea pigs.
The hutch is crafted with natural fir wood and coated with a waterproof and non-toxic varnish that is also eco-friendly. The hutch is also anti-corrosive and UV-resistant, which means it will last quite a long time!
There are two levels in this hutch that are connected by a ramp. The first floor has two doors on the front, a removable bottom tray, and an openable roof. This makes it much easier to access your guinea pigs and clean their habitat.
The bottom of the hutch includes a large run constructed of sturdy wire. The run also has two doors.
The run can be blocked off via a lockable door so you have full control over its accessibility to your guinea pigs.
- Measures 35.49 x 17.55 x 31.59 inches – suitable for one or two guinea pigs
- Made with natural fir wood and waterproof non-toxic tarnish
- Two levels
- Run can be blocked off via a lockable door
How big does a guinea pig hutch need to be? A minimum cage size for a pair of guinea pigs should be 120cm x 60cm x 45cm.
How big do guinea pigs grow? Guinea pigs continue to grow until about 14 months old and can grow to the sizes of 20-30cm (8 – 12 inches)
Can guinea pigs live outside? Yes. Guinea pigs can live outside with no problems. However, during bad weather or winter months, bring your guinea pig inside or make sure their hutch is protected from the cold and rain.